Monday 1 July 2013

Weight loss, a tough adventures journey.

With summer up in the air I keep hearing the same dilemma’s I hear every year; "O Gosh I need to lose weight. Arggg, I can't fit into my clothes. God help me get back in shape. I need to look good for the summer." Sound familiar? 

Lots of people seem to be waiting for the summer to get motivated back into shape. And there is nothing wrong with that. I mean whatever gets you up and moving, it's all good. 
But why does summer have to be the great trigger? Why not just be fit for life? Allow a healthy lifestyle to be an everyday thing? Is it because people are quick to associate weight loss with starving themselves and sore muscles? If that's the case I can imagine how that particular thought might throw many off. But it shouldn't! Yes you will feel sore in the beginning, I'm not going to lie. But then again the struggle is worth the benefits.



A huge part of losing weight is believing that you can do it and realizing that it is not going to happen overnight! Remember, Rome was not built in one day. Losing weight and adapting to a new healthy lifestyle can be quite challenging.

Important questions to ask yourself is why you want or need to lose weight? Is it for health reasons? Is it because you want to look good in a skinny jeans? Or perhaps you are simply not happy with yourself? Whatever the answer is make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons. Mainly for YOUSELF!


Also I believe that it is important not to be too harsh on yourself. Yes, you have to stay committed and dedicated, set goals and stick to them. But it is also important to remember that we are all humans and that we make mistakes. Starting is never easy. How to stay in the game, that is the real challenge!


The benefits of an healthy lifestyle.

Losing weight can improve your health in many ways. Just losing 10% of your current weight can make a difference in the way you feel on a daily basis. Weight loss also...

  • Increases your energy level;
  • Lowers your cholesterol levels;
  • Reduces your blood pressure;
  • Reduces aches and pains;
  • Improves mobility;
  • Improves your breathing;
  • Helps you sleep better;
  • You wake up more rested;
  • And most importantly of all, you feel much happier and comfortable in your own skin.

  •  

    A workout should also be fun. Simply because people tend to go back to the things they like and enjoy the most. What keeps a workout fun for me is music. Quoting Bob Marley:
    "One thing about music when it hits you, you feel no pain."

    Though I have never experienced any weight problems, I have people in my immediate surroundings who do. Actually someone very dear to me had been diagnosed two years ago with breast cancer. Fortunately she got treated on time and the cancer was successfully removed. But she had a weight problem which she needed to get rid of fast. Determined and (quite understandable) shaken by the life threatening experience, she managed to turn her life around and got rid of the extra pounds.
    How? Dedication, music (the perfect pain killer), a good sense of humor and most importantly ...patience!



     
     
    Fitness isn't a luxury. It's a necessity. By thinking of exercise as just one of many important health habits, working out will become just as automatic as brushing your teeth, says exercise physiologist Amy Dixon. ~ (Source: Women's health magazine)
     
    I could not agree more. Stay fit!
     
     
     
     
     
     

     

     
      






     










































    1 comment:

    1. Losing weight is seriously a tough adventures journey. I've been battling with weight issues for decades now. I just recently started having fun with exercises I enjoy and have to admit that I'm having more fun now and losing weight gradually. Slow, but I'm getting there. I'm definitely going to try to be more patient and make exercising a habit.

      ReplyDelete